Historical Property

Text by Kevin Murphy

Photography Courtesy of Clare Goldsmid

                  Seton Castle

Longniddry, East Lothian, EH32 0PG

£8,000,000

Copyright 2020. English Living. All Rights Reserved

Seton Castle built in 1789 by architect and designer Robert Adam, his final project, was the preferred retreat of Mary Queen of Scots.

The property is on 13 acres of private gardens and has been fully restored to include 13 bedrooms.

The castle features curved doors of paneled oak, ceiling plaster designs and bay windowed rooms. With its turrets and slit windows give the home a grand touch for family living. The home also has secret staircases, curved doors and walls and arched windows.

The ownership of Seton Castle Wemyss family from the late 18th century till 2003 with the architectural style kept to its original design details kept in place. The two-year refurbishment includes the modern amenities of security systems, state of the art gym, playroom and a large double AGA kitchen. A silk lined dining room, billiard room, traditional bar, cinema and a helipad.

The restoration included the installation of 17th century French oak flooring, a central heating system, restored ceilings and ironwork along with a restored 10,000 bottle wine cellar.

A team of stone masons worked to restore the castles many chimneys, turrets and rooftop parapets with sourced period sandstone and limestone.

 

Main building of the castle has seven bedrooms but also include two separate self-contained cottages The Darnley and the Bothwell featuring three bedrooms, kitchen, bath and WC.

For equestrian family members and visitors there is a restored fully working stables including a foaling stable and an adjacent coach house with a rustic private tavern in the original tack room named the Stable Bar.

About East Lothian:

 

The East Lothian coast is only 12 miles away from Edinburgh and is known for its golf courses, beaches and great food and drink establishments. For families its a great journey for day trips with good walking and riding areas. The Longniddry Golf Club established in 1921 on the south shore of the Firth of Forth lies 18 miles to the east of Edinburgh. For more information please go to VisitScotland.com.

Contact an agent

 

Jamie Macnab

Country Houses Team

+44 (0) 131 247 3738

 

Ele Robertson

Country Houses Team

+44 (0) 131 247 3735