Located on the east coast of Scotland, Angus is a county renowned for its heather clad hills, productive farmland, historic castles and attractive coastline. The county of Angus is perhaps lesser known than its neighbour Perthshire, but is equally beautiful, for its varied coastline from Dundee, home to The Discovery and recently opened V&A museum to the Montrose Basin, an incredibly important sanctuary for thousands of waders, wildfowl and migratory pink footed geese each year.
Brechin Castle occupies a commanding position overlooking its surrounding designed landscape. There are about 40 acres of policies including the renowned walled garden, where, in addition to the Castle there are two gate lodges (West and New) and three further estate houses and cottages. The properties are strategically placed around the grounds without compromising the outlook of the Castle. The River South Esk provides the opportunity to catch salmon and sea trout in the Castle Pool. Throughout the policies there is an exceptional array of specimen trees which enhances the designed landscape surrounding the Castle.
Brechin Castle stands proud on a massive bluff of rocks above the banks of the River South Esk. On the site of a much older fortress belonging to the Scottish Kings, the present house was last reconstructed in the early 1700s and incorporates part of the original castle dating back to the 13th century. The building has evolved from a defensive role to its present great house style. Despite its size, the Castle lends itself well to being both a family home and hosting large gatherings in grand style. Built in a period when families were large with numerous children and with a battalion of house staff, Brechin Castle has the potential to be used for a commercial purpose utilising all the space on offer.
There are two entrances to the Castle. The north drive is the principal approach to the Castle, accessed from the imposing entrance gates at the New Lodge. The tarred drive crosses the Skinners Burn by a single arch bridge, one of two in Brechin, the other being at the Den providing access to the cemetery. The bridges were designed and built in 1856 by John Henderson, son of the Brechin Castle gardener. After crossing the bridge you enter the open parkland which reveals the fine front elevation of the Castle.
The south drive, over which the purchaser will have a right of access, passes through open farmland and forestry before crossing the River South Esk via the Image Bridge before gently climbing up through the estate parkland past the walled garden to join the main driveway. The Image Bridge was built by James Burn of Haddington in 1797.
Upon entering the Castle, you are greeted with Edward's original panelled walls and impressive columns that were added after the initial restoration. In addition, the ceiling appears to date back to Alexander Laing's reparations in 1797. The imposing staircase leads up from the ground floor Entrance Hall to the first floor landing where many pieces of traditional artwork, mostly family portraits, are presented. The staircase is very much in its original condition and still retains its striking ironwork balustrades which were installed in 1659.
The walled garden and surrounding policies at Brechin Castle are considered to be one of the finest and most important private gardens in Scotland. In total they extend to over 40 acres of planted policies and include the spectacular 13 acre walled garden which is linked to Brechin Castle by woodland paths through banks of vibrant colours of azaleas and rhododendrons in Spring.
Content & Photos courtesy of Savill's UK